Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Good Times

It's great being married to someone who is not only a good story-teller, but also has a similar background. I think I mentioned one time that I met Dearly Beloved when he came to my office [I was a Parole Officer] to serve me with a subpoena so I could testify against a parolee who had new felony charges.

On Saturday, we voted but they didn't have those little “I Voted” stickers. I suggested we go to Beth Marie's for ice cream to reward ourselves for being good citizens. On the way to the Square, we passed an establishment that I thought I recognized. “Didn't that used to be 'The Ladies in Red Social Club' ?” Dearly Beloved allowed as to how it might have been.

We got into a story-telling session about a couple of my Parolees with whom he had had contact when working for the D.A. I brought up the story of Chanel and how she came to be on my caseload. When I mentioned her full name, he remembered her and the latest offense that sent her to prison.

He observed how much safer the neighborhood had gotten in recent years. And then regaled me with stories about felons and the establishments they ran or frequented and the trouble they got in, or were involved in as instigators, facilitators or observers. The stories were doozies. I'm talking belly laugh inducers.

Then, we passed the street where Cupcake Man had lived. So I told that story and the follow-up about his revocation hearing. We had good chuckles over those stories.

It was a nice afternoon of stories and hot fudge sundaes.  

4 comments:

Home on the Range said...

Stories and hot fudge sundaes. Doesn't get a whole lot better than that.

Christina RN LMT said...

Sounds like a picture-perfect day, Holly!

I envy you both.

Old NFO said...

Sounds like a good day!

JPG said...

Beloved Bride and I read one another’s blogs but don’t always discuss them. On Thursday I was ran errands in preparation for a weekend hog hunt and get-together. A couple of packages of cinnamon rolls sounded good for camp breakfasts, so I stopped by the bakery outlet shoppe Holly mentioned in the Muffin Man tale.

I arrived home with a couple of bagsful of nicely-icedsweetchewey goodness and BB commented on the contents. I assured her that, since they’d already sold out of charklet cupcakes, there had been no violence while I was there. Only took half-a-beat for the big grin to bloom.
JPG