Friday, May 11, 2007

What's In My Heart

It has been brought to my attention that my recent posts make me sound like a, well, how can I put this? Racist Bigot, was the combination of words that comes up most often, I believe. This happened in Real Life, so don't think that you've missed something in the comments section. And since it was more than one person, I gave this matter a great deal of thought.

They don't know what's in my heart. My conscience and my karma are clear. I am not a bigot, now. I was, at one time. But I got over it. And went on to become a Flaming Liberal Democrat for many years. But I got over that, too.
That's right...I've lost my Liberal White Guilt. And I'm not lookin' to get it back.
When I was in gradual school, a professor tried to tell me, along with the rest of the class, that because we were White and Middle-Class we carried a "backpack of privilege". I took exception to her pronouncement. I am indeed white, but where did she come off making an assumption about my socio-economic background or current status? Didn't that evidence a certain "classism" in her own mindset? And for the rest of the semester, every time this "Educator" would drop one of these Politically Correct bomblets in the middle of the classroom, I'd challenge it. I am just not a politically correct game playa.
And, since I hit the half century mark, I have noticed that I just don't have the time to be particularly...tactful. I realise that this can come across as rude or insensitive. But I prefer to see it as cuttin' through the niceties, the fat with which we, as a society, surround the hard truths of this life's meat. Not every use of the word "black" is derogatory. Sometimes it is merely a descriptor. If the reader chooses to see derision in black,or any other color or race, or ethnicity I use here, perhaps the reader needs to examine their own attitudes.

6 comments:

Ambulance Driver said...

I don't think your blog makes you sound racist and bigoted.

Rather, you come off as a woman who is sick and tired of PC niceties masquerading as "civil discourse."

People who still engage in PC thought and speech tend to get offended by people who don't, especially when they're uncomfortable with the truth.

And heck, "Holly's Histrionics" oughta tell people that subtlety and nuance are gonna be in short supply here. ;)

Anonymous said...

I agree with AD, Holly. I've never thought you that way so ease up on yourself.

phlegmfatale said...

ditto what AD said - I didn't think you were racist at all. I thought it was light-hearted and tongue-in-cheek. I mean, if you despised someone, would you really name a beloved PET after them? Surely not.

g bro said...

From this I infer someone called you out over a dog's name? Wow.

The Mrs. once wanted to name her solid black cat Tyrone, then call him at the front door with, "Tyrone, get your black ass in here!" It would have gone over well in her Northeast Philadelphia neighborhood. Or maybe not.

I do not conclude from your writings (or thirty-leven years of knowing you) that you are racist or bigoted. Based on your writings, I would conclude that you are
pro-military,
pro-2nd Amendment,
pro-1st Amendment,
pro-canine,
pro-sistahood,
pro-convertible,
anti-illegal alien,
anti-liberal Democrat,
and probably anti-Islam.

Obviously anti-terrorist, but your recent posts sound a little more than that. That bothers me the most in your writings, since it comes across as "The tenets of Islam are fundamentally wrong, so Muslims are wrong by definition." Not sure if that's what you mean, but it is an easy conclusion to reach. I meet a fair number of Muslims, none of whom exhibit any militant tendencies in my presence.

The thing I don't see in your writings is criticism, ever, of the administration or the Political Right. Maybe I've missed a few shots.

It's your blog, it's your opinion, but that's what I recall seeing and not seeing.

I respect your opinions, I hope I would defend to the death your right to say them. I love you. Greetings and a tweak of the ears to Tipper Sharpton. ;-)

KG said...

You continue to tell it as you see it, Holly--there are too few people prepared to do that.
Honest dialog between people is essential and nobody has the right to declare themselves the gatekeepers of what is "proper".

FHB said...

I feel very good reading this stuff. Doesn't sound bigoted to me at all. Sounds opinionated and informed. Everyone has a right to an opinion, and offend as many people as they like, and no one has a right not to be offended. Keep it up.