Ok, my 5 restaurants, locally are:
- The Smokehouse: it's a bar-b-que joint, but I love their catfish. Monday night is their all you can eat catfish night. You get 2 sides, and Texas toast for <$8. I almost always get the fries and a salad. And it's a mountain of fries, too. Their chopped brisket sammie ain't bad, either.
- The Greenhouse: one of my favorite Lunch places. I think it's b/c of the Sweet Potato Fries. Dian and Claudia will have something healthy, like a salad, or chicken and a veggie. But not me! Un-huh, I go for the Greenhouse club on sour-dough, with those sweet-tater fries.
- Mazatlan: my favorite Tex-Mex place. I judge Tex-Mex by the guacamole. Theirs is sublime. On Thursdays, they even have guacamole enchiladas! The taco salads are good, the chile rellenos are good, all types of the enchiladas are good. And the sopapillas, divine!
- Ruby's Diner on the Square: well, where do I start? It's on the Square; it's still got that small town,friendly feeling and service; you can opt for the buffet at breakfast or lunch or order off the menu. Dian clued me in to the Breakfast special that you can order all day. I discovered the Onion Strings on my own!
- Ponder Steakhouse: simply the best! Better than Outback, MUCH better than Texas Roadhouse, and even better than that place where they cut off your tie. Great meat, cooked to perfection, fried green tomatoes, in season. But if you want a baked potato, call ahead and reserve it.
And now, I'm gonna do what DW did and offer you my favorite Out of Town places:
- Nami's in Belton, TX: go for the Hibachi seating around the grill. Their chefs put on a good show. I like the Onion "volcano", myself. Their scallops are simply the best I've ever had. I don't "do" sushi, but others at our seating who have had it tell me it's good. We have tried the soft shell crab appetizer, it's quite tasty.
- Stagecoach Inn, Salado, TX: I haven't been there in years, but the atmosphere of dining in an old stagecoach stop is something you have to experience once when you're traveling the I-35 corridor between Dallas and Austin.
- Pappadeaux, either Dallas, Houston, or Austin, TX: they have the best remouolade sauce outside of my own kitchen I've ever tasted. They will also take your cheesecake out of the cooler at the beginning of your meal, so that by dessert time, it's close to room temp, the way cheesecake should be. If you've been eating your cheesecake cold, try it at a warmer temp, you'll thank me.
- Sonny's, Galveston, TX: I wrote about this little lunch place last year after my trip down there last May. Please go back to my archives. I had the best muffletta I've ever tasted anywhere, including N'Orlens, at Sonny's.
- Gaido's, Galveston, TX: the food, the service, and the view, if you sit by the window wall combine to give you a unique experience. It has been one of my "Must Visit" spots in Galveston since I was old enough to appreciate truly well prepared food. They have finger bowls and crumb brushes, for goodness sake! Go, already!
OK, now for the OTHER Me-Me. I was just guffawing doin' this one. First, go to Google; then put in your Blogger name, then enter the following terms: needs, is, likes, wants, gets, says, does, and eats. Then report the results. I'm not gonna tag anybody with this one. Y'all are on your own. But, please, I can't wait to see the results.
Holly needs a new home... not really, I just need a cleaning/organizing crew to come in and re-do this home.
Holly is for very negative, aggressive feelings directed at others...only when they leave anonymous, negative comment that insult my regular commenters.
Holly likes the generality of CacheMethodResult when she is just experimenting with caching ...Whiskey Tango Foxtrot? But if you had seen the first result from Google, you'd know why I went with this result.
Holly wants to go to California...not BLOODY likely!
Holly gets all the good gifts...but only because I'm a Goddess and I Deserve them!
Holly says that the question of competition is especially complex when talking...and I can't walk or chew gum or rub my tummy and pat my head at the same time, either.
Holly does Hollywood on IMDb...but it's only on the subscription service, not the freebie area.
Holly eats with the Queen...and we dish about Camilla after she banishes that stuffy husband of hers.