Sunday, April 22, 2007

A New Friend

I met, in the flesh, the glorious Phlegm Fatale Friday! Ladies and Gentlemen, remember that song Wonder by Natalie Merchant? That is Phlegmy. To a "T" or a "P" I should say. She is a delight.
We had an absolutely wonderful lunch at Babe's. The choice of restaurant was fortunate. We both enjoy the "home style" cooking and fare. The biscuits are almost as good as mine and head and shoulders above any other commercial establishment I've ever frequented. Their gravy is nothing short of delectable, lacking only "crispy crunchies" to make it heavenly. I had previously had the chicken, pot roast and catfish at other Babe's, so I tried the Chicken Fried Steak. For those of you who don't know, I am on a life-long quest to find the "Perfect CFS". I call it a life-long quest, because I intend to keep searching until I can no longer chew. babe's CFS was as big as the entire PLATE. And it was GOOD. Not to thick, just the right amount of breading, no icky gristle, not tough, not overdone. And even after I was full, I still had 1/2 of it to take home. I thought I had found the best CFS in Ft. Stockton a couple of years ago on a trip out to Terlingua. Now, I'm not so sure. And before I forget, if you go to Babe's and don't fall in love with their Kentucky Wonder Green Beans...send 'em over to my table. I'll take your share. All day long and twice on Sunday. I love those things.

When we were almost finished eating, I pulled the bottle of champagne out of the bag of ice I'd packed it in to keep it cold. Now don't get excited...it's not like it was Dom or Cristal or anything...but it wasn't Andre either. I just wish I could get my hands on Dark Horse here in my little town. Anyhoo... one of the guys at the table next to ours, when I popped the cork, said, to his date/wife, "I think I'm sittin' at the wrong table. They may need some help finishin' that bottle." To which i replied, "We're grown up girls, I think we can manage."

Phlegmy is soooo indulgent. We went out on the patio to drink our champagne so that I could have a post-prandial cigarette or three. We talked and talked and talked. About things great and grand and small and insignificant. We went off on tangents and wound our way back to the beginning again and again.
It's strange when you've been "talking" to someone in emails and chats and even on the phone for a time how you can still be somewhat trepidatious about meeting them in person. But all went well. I did notice a dichotomy, though. I would feel one moment that I had known this woman forever. Then the next moment she would reveal something that was new and totally unexpected. Getting to know a new friend is such an adventure, isn't it?
Phlegmy, I am so glad we both took a chance and reached out.
Oh, and Thanks again for the stunning ear bobs! I've shown them off to everybody!

5 comments:

phlegmfatale said...

Gosh, Hols - you flatter me. It was an absolute delight to meet you, a tonic, and just what I needed. Babe's is fantastic, and I think more than that one table was looking on and wishing they'd brought their own libation. The champagne was delicious, and the company even sweeter. I feel I've known you a long time, and I plan to know you for even longer in the future.

Here's to stepping out on the precipice and risking finding new friends!

Anonymous said...

New friends are so much fun, especially when you hit it off from the start like you two did.

Hopefully one of these days I'll get to meet you, Holly. I look forward to that.

Memphis said...

You're lucky! So far I haven't met a single person from the blog in person.

g bro said...

I'm soooooooooo jealous!

;-)

George

Dick said...

Everybody needs to discover the greatness of Babe's.
Glad ya got to meet Phlegm, I'm now jealous.