Friday, February 02, 2007

One of the Many Reasons

I call my husband my Dearly Beloved is that we laugh together so much.
Last night I made Dolma, or stuffed grape leaves, for those of you unfamiliar with Greek food, for the first time. I also made a stuffed eggplant dish called Melitazanes, or something very close to that. My back was really screamin' after the time intensive prep work for those two dishes, so the DB made the Hummus. Which was excellent, btw.

After dinner, we were discussing the dishes and how we could improve on them next time we make them. Less pine nuts, more currants...you cooks know what I mean. And I said I thought instead of steaming the nekkid dolmas, I thought I would drizzle a little olive oil on them, that they had seemed a little dry to me. And, just to clarify, DB said, "you're still gonna steam them though, right?" So I couldn't resist, I tweaked him and y'all see it comin' don't you? "Well, I guess I COULD beat some eggs and dip them in that and then dredge 'em in some flour and deep fry 'em..." DB interrupts with laughter and his own scathingly brilliant ideer, "Chicken Fried Dolma, we'll get a booth at the State Fair and make money hand over fist!"
Phlegm, you were the first person I thought of. If it hadn't been almost 11 pm, I woulda called you. Now, what are we gonna use for a dipping sauce?

1 comment:

phlegmfatale said...

OMG - DB and I thought the exact same thing - when I started reading you were going to bread and deepfry them, I thought "that could go on a stick at the State Fair!!!"
Hmmm, sauce... Let me think a sec.

Well, if you make the dolmas with minced lamb in, a yogurt-cucumber sauce like they put on GYROS sandwiches would be good, and I'd like a little mint in mine. YUM!