Sunday, April 12, 2009

Happy Easter!

Since my Son doesn't read my blog, I can safely share this story from his childhood. My old friends have heard this before, but it's so amusing, to me anyway, it bears repeating. Let me preface it by assuring you he HAD received basic religious exposure before this happened.


We were in Dillard's, a medium range department store here in N. Texas. It was Easter time and they had their decorations up. Lot of bunnies, eggs and flowers were everywhere. As we're walking along, Son asks, “what's the deal about Easter?”


I explained it had started as a Pagan festival to celebrate the return of Spring and the rebirth of the Earth. “Then the Christians came along,” I expanded, “ and they changed the festival to be a celebration of Christ's resurrection from the grave.” I checked to make sure he remembered the story of the crucifixion and resurrection.


He stops in the middle of the aisle, looks up at me with an expression of wonder and confusion and queries, “So you mean Jesus is, like, a ZOMBIE?”
Well, I lost it. I am doubled over with laughter. After several moments, I recovered somewhat. I straightened up and gave his question the attention it deserved. “Yes, that's one way of looking at it, Son.” Thinking of the horrified reaction of my religiously conservative [Old time Church of Christ.] I cautioned, “But NEVER tell Grandpa and Grandma that.”

1 comment:

Home on the Range said...

Happy Easter to both of you!!!


May all your family be gathered around and the day one of joy.